This week’s Booking Through Thursday prompt asks, “Since my dog is turning 10 today … what animal-related books have you read? Which do you love? Do you have a favorite literary dog? (Snoopy, anyone?)”
I am actually reading an animal-related short story right now. It’s in P. G. Wodehouse’s collection [amazon_link id=”1604500689″ target=”_blank” ]The Man With Two Left Feet & Other Stories[/amazon_link] via DailyLit. It’s called “The Mixer: He Meets a Shy Gentleman,” and it’s told from the viewpoint of a dog. It’s really funny so far, as you might imagine with Wodehouse.
Most of the animal-related books I can recall reading I read during childhood, but here’s a list:
- [amazon_link id=”1565125606″ target=”_blank” ]Water for Elephants[/amazon_link] by Sara Gruen (review): Features Rosie the elephant.
- [amazon_link id=”0142402524″ target=”_blank” ]Rascal[/amazon_link] by Sterling North (reflection): Features Rascal the raccoon.
- [amazon_link id=”0380709260″ target=”_blank” ]Socks[/amazon_link] by Beverly Cleary: Featuring Socks the cat.
- [amazon_link id=”0064410935″ target=”_blank” ]Charlotte’s Web[/amazon_link] by E. B. White: Featuring Wilbur the Pig, and a host of other animals, including a spider named Charlotte.
- [amazon_link id=”0312380038″ target=”_blank” ]The Cricket in Times Square[/amazon_link] by George Selden: Featuring Chester the Cricket, Tucker Mouse, and friends.
I can’t say I really have a favorite literary dog. I am kind of a cat person. I do love Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes, and I was a pretty big fan of Garfield as a child. Snoopy is fine, but I always thought he was a little bit mean.
2 thoughts on “Booking Through Thursday: Dog Days”
I don't generally read animal based books, but Water for Elephants is one of my favorites!
You know, I think you would like the Wodehouse, too. He's funny. First Wodehouse I've read. I want to read all the Jeeves books. After Water for Elephants, I couldn't really think of any animal-based books I'd read that were intended for adults, but I sure loved them as a child. I am a huge cat-lover. I like dogs, but I love cats.
Comments are closed.